Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Not Cowed With Fear

To no one in particular:

You may think that I'm weak because I'm so often voiceless; or that I cower when I fail to make myself known; or that I'm timid while you wait for me to choose my words; or that I lack confidence because I keep to myself.

But it's not fear that holds me back. It's not fear that often keeps me away from you and others. And it's not fear that makes me the way that I am. I'm not afraid to be more like you; I simply have no desire to be something that I'm not.

I don't need to learn to be more loud, or more outspoken, or more visible. I don't need to become more sure of myself. What I need, if anything, is to stop allowing my personality to be questioned so much. I need, perhaps, to be more proud of who I am.

I'm not afraid to be myself, and I don't need to change. It's not fear that you see in me. It's just me.

This is how I am.

Get used to it.

 

5 comments:

Sultan said...

How you are is fine. The next step is taking away the power that others have over you.

The Silent One said...

Nice post! Great to see you back blogging..

Zeri Kyd said...

Laoch, yes, maybe. Maybe I pay too much attention to what others think, or analyze it too much.

The Silent One, thanks; I plan to keep blogging, just might not be very often.

Seeking Serenity said...

yes,your answer above- that is what I do also.

Zeri Kyd said...

Jade, ya, I know. But I don't think I'd want to change that part of me. I pay attention to what others think and how they act because human nature interests me, and because I do it well. And I care about such things because, well, I'm intensely aware of the effect I have on others, and of my surroundings. If I didn't reflect so much on all it, maybe it would be easier. But reflecting on all of it is part of what makes me an introvert. And I like it that way.